Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A proper middle eastern harissa sauce
- 250 g fresh chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Split peppers lenghtwise, remove all the seeds and membrane.
- place the chilli in a sieve and wash well, dry.
- Blend in a processor to a fine chopped texture.
- Place the mixture in a non stick pan on low heat and stir frequently.
- This has to be done to dry all the moisture, if not done properly the harissa will not keep.
- When the mixture is thick and you can see no moisture, place in a blender and add the other ingredients.
- Place in a jar and cover with a layer of olive oil to act as a sealant.