1/1 Photo of Harira (Moroccan Lentil Soup)
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Tomato soup with lentils,chickpeas, and vermicelli pasta. Perfect for those cold winter days. This soup is served everyday during the holy month of Ramadan. This is a modified recipe from my mother.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lamb or 1 lb chicken or 1 lb beef
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup celery
- 1 onion
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 7 cups water
- 3/4 cup lentils (soaked in water overnight)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (or dried ones soaked in water)
- 4 ounces vermicelli (cut in small pieces)
- 1 lemon
- 1Chop celery, onion, cilantro.
- 2Place the lamb (bones optional, for flavoring), spices, margarine, celery, onion, and cilantro into a large pot over a low heat.
- 3Stir tomatoes(without juice) into the mixture and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Pour tomato juice, 7 cups water, and the lentils into the pot.
- 5Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Let soup simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- 6About 10 minutes before serving turn the heat to medium-high, place chickpeas and vermicelli into the soup, let cook about 10 minutes.
- 7Serve soup with lemon wedges on the side.
- 8This is optional: serve with warm slices of bread, dates and boiled eggs (cut in half and sprinkled with cumin and salt).
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harira (Moroccan Lentil Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.9
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.0 mg
- Sodium 157.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 10.4 g