1/1 Photo of Harira - Moroccan Lamb Stew
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I learned how to make this from an ex-boyfriend's mother. This stew has a very unique flavor. You can substitute beef if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cubed lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 7 cups water
- 3/4 cup green lentil
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 ounces vermicelli
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1Place the lamb, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, margarine, celery, onion, and cilantro into a large soup pot over a low heat.
- 2Stir frequently for 5 minutes.
- 3Pour tomatoes (reserve juice) into the mixture and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Pour tomato juice, 7 cups water, and the lentils into the pot.
- 5Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
- 6Let soup simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- 7About 10 minutes before serving turn the heat to medium-high, place chickpeas and noodles into the soup, let cook about 10 minutes (until noodles are al dente).
- 8Stir in lemon and eggs, let eggs cook 1 minute.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harira - Moroccan Lamb Stew
Serving Size: 1 (652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.6
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 110.5 mg
- Sodium 627.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 26.8 g