2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 25 mins
This is a soup I created by substituting ingredients in a recipe for Harira frm the Essential Mediterranean Cookbook. One of the first soups I made and I loved it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small brown onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb stewing beef, cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 liter beef stock
- 30 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained (canned)
- 800 g diced tomatoes, canned
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives (optional)
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot.
- 2Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- 3Add the meat, in batches, and cook over high heat until the meat is browned. Return all the meat to the pan.
- 4Add the spices and bay leaf to the pan and cook until fragrant.
- 5Add the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 6Add the stock to the pan, stir well and bring to a boil.
- 7Add the chickpeas, tomato and chopped coriander to the pan. Stir, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Stir occasionally.
- 8Serve garnished with coriander leaves and small black olives.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harira Inspired Beef Soup
Serving Size: 1 (842 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.1
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 2030.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 36.9 g