2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 25 mins
This is a wonderfully spiced and filling soup. Mmmmm, wish we had a winter around here... This is North African comfort food at it's best. Serve with toasted pita or Morrocan flat bread drizzled with a bit of good quality olive oil. If you're not crazy about cloves, like my DH, you can reduce to 1/4 tsp and adjust from there.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small brown onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb lamb shoulder steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 1/4 cups beef stock
- 3 (10 ounce) cans chickpeas (or less, depending on your taste)
- 28 ounces tomatoes, diced (use a GOOD quality tomato)
- 1/2 cup coriander, finely chopped (cilantro)
- fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
- black olives, for garnish
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or stockpot. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- 2Add the meat in batches, and cook over high heat until the meat is browned on all sides. Return all the meat to the pan.
- 3Add the spices and bay leaf to the pan and cook until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Add the stock to the pan, stir well and bring to a boil.
- 5Add the chickpeas, tomato and chopped coriander to the pan. Stir, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Stir occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Serve garnished with coriander leaves and small black olives.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harira (Chickpea, Lamb and Coriander Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (897 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.4
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 89.5 mg
- Sodium 1955.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 50.4 g