Recipe by Deantini
I am posting it here for safe keeping and will be making before long. It looks absolutely delicious. It is a traditional Ramadan Soup. UPDATE - I have now made the soup and love it; I made it with red lentils which worked fine.
Top Review by Jamilahs_Kitchen
I like this version. I threw in some carrots for DS and a few other veggies I had to use up. I didn't blend just because we like the broth in this dish. THank You Made for ZWT 7.
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, fresh
- 1⁄2 bunch parsley, fresh
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil (or brown)
- 0.5 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 6 pitted dates, halved (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop 2 tbsp each of cilantro and parsley, set aside.
- Tie together the remainder of the parsley and cilantro bunches and place in large sauce pan. Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minute Discard herb bundle.
- Add lentils, cover and simmer for 15 minute.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, tumeric, and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minute.
- Remove 3 cups of soup and blend with hand blender or food processor.
- Return to pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice, oil and reserved herbs.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon and top of lemon slices and dates.