1/6 Photos of Harira - Chickpea and Lentil Soup
1 hr 10 mins
I am posting it here for safe keeping and will be making before long. It looks absolutely delicious. It is a traditional Ramadan Soup. UPDATE - I have now made the soup and love it; I made it with red lentils which worked fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, fresh
- 1/2 bunch parsley, fresh
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup green lentil (or brown)
- 0.5 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Chop 2 tbsp each of cilantro and parsley, set aside.
- 2Tie together the remainder of the parsley and cilantro bunches and place in large sauce pan. Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minute Discard herb bundle.
- 3Add lentils, cover and simmer for 15 minute.
- 4Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, tumeric, and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minute.
- 5Remove 3 cups of soup and blend with hand blender or food processor.
- 6Return to pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice, oil and reserved herbs.
- 7Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon and top of lemon slices and dates.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harira - Chickpea and Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.2
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 961.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 16.4 g