Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
A wonderful soup from Morocco that is rich enough to serve as both a soup and a stew. It is made either with Saffron or Tumeric. I broke down and splurged on the Saffron. It cost about $16.00 for a small jar. But guess what, you don't use very much at all. It is not as expensive as you thing, since you only use a couple of strands per recipe. So, live a little.
- 1 lb beef, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed saffron or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Brown beef in butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add carrots, celery, onion, cinnamon, saffron or tumeric and cook until tender.
- Add broth and barley, cover and simmer over low heat 1 1/4 hours.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes,parsley, oregano and lemon juice; cook 15 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally.