Recipe by ahdesilva
Wonderful recipe for vegetarian harira from Moosewood Restaurant
Top Review by venicemama
this soup is simple, made from everyday ingredients and incredibly delicious. A family favorite made for all kinds of birthdays and special occasions. my children (ages 8, 11, 13) love it and have loved since they were small.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 small potato, chopped
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 2 (12 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 4 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vermicelli, crumbled
- 1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, saute the onion and celery in the oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the spices, potates, and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix in the chopped tomatoes, tomato juice, and stock and simmer until all of the vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the zucchini and vermicelli and simmer for about 5 minutes longer.
- Mix in the chick peas, lemon juice and S and P to taste.