Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was posted in answer to a request for Dutch (Netherlands) recipes. The recipe comes from the book: "Cooking into Europe - Choice Common Market Dishes" (1973). Recipe was copied word for word from the book. Prep, cooking times and servings were not given for this recipe, they are my estimates.
- 1 lettuce (inner leaves only)
- 3 apples
- 3 pickled herring, chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 boiled beetroots, peeled and cubed in 1/2 inch dice
- 8 cold boiled potatoes, mashed
- 3 large sweet pickled gherkins, sliced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup)
- French dressing
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- sliced pickled gherkin
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Decorate an oblong dish with lettuce leaves.
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Mix immediately with the herring, add all other ingredients except the mayonnaise and garnish, and toss them together in the dressing.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the lettuce leaves, and cover generously with mayonnaise.
- Decorate with the garnish.
- For the garnish, chop the egg whites.
- Rub the yolks through a sieve.
- Scatter both on the mayonnaise with the slices of gherkin and parsley.