Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT5. From Fine Cooking magazine, June/July 2009. I can't wait to try this! More goat cheese may be added, if you like.
Top Review by breezermom
Love haricots verts and the toasted walnuts were wonderful in this recipe. Although I love chevre, I think I'd cut back on the amount so the other flavors can shine through. Made for ZWT8. Thanks for sharing!
- kosher salt, for well-salted water (1 Tbsp per quart)
- 3⁄4 lb French haricots vert or 3⁄4 lb green beans or 3⁄4 lb yellow beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese (2/3 cup) or 2 ounces chevre cheese, crumbled (2/3 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium pot of well-salted water to a boil.
- Cook the beans in the water until tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and run under cold water to cool. Drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Add the walnut oil and the beans and cook, stirring to heat through, 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer the beans to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle the boat cheese over the top and serve.