Recipe by breezermom
I love the tiny little green beans I can find packaged in some grocery stores labeled haricots verts! I can just eat them like candy, but they are even better cooked this way!
Top Review by LifeIsGood
Excellent! I could have eaten these for my entire dinner. This recipe is going straight into my best of the best file. I halved the recipe and didn't weigh my shallots..just went by eye. Also, I sliced my shallots instead of just halving them. As a consequence, they didn't need as long to caramalize. I'm fighting the urge to make these right now for breakfast! Made for ZWT 8 France region. Merci!
- 1 lb French haricots vert, trimmed (tiny green beans)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb shallot, halved lengthwise and peeled
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (may sub balsamic vinegar)
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the green beans in boiling salted water to cover 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp tender. Drain. Plunge the beans into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar with olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots, and saute 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add vinegar, and saute 10 minutes or until the shallots are golden brown and tender.
- Increase the heat to medium-high; add the green beans. Saute 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.