Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
From the New Vegetarian Epicure, posted for ZWT III, France. According to author Anna Thomas, "the thin, tender French green beans are important to this - don't try to cheat with larger, tougher beans!" Cooking time includes cooling time as well.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 lb French haricots vert (french green beans)
- 1⁄2 lb small English cucumber (persian can also be used)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- scrub the potatoes clean and trim away any rough spots.
- cut in half potatoes that are larger than a walnut.
- Salt the potatoes lightly and steam them for about 15 minutes, or till tender. Let them cool.
- Wash and trim the beans and steam them for 5-7 minutes, till tender crisp. Let them cool.
- If you have slender, thin skinned cucumbers, wash them, trim the ends and slice the 1/8 inch thick. If you can only find the thicker skinned cucumbers, you will need to peel them, halve them lengthwise and scrape out the seeds before slicing.
- Combine potatoes, green beans, sliced cucumbers, dill, red onion in a large bowl.
- whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, sugar, dijon mustard and a dash of pepper.
- pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss together gently but thoroughly.
- try not to break up the potatoes.
- allow the salad to rest in the refrigerator for an hour or so, then taste, and correct seasonings with more salt, pepper, lemon juice, etc, as needed.