1/3 Photos of Haricots Verts, Red Potato and Cucumber Salad
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From the New Vegetarian Epicure, posted for ZWT III, France. According to author Anna Thomas, "the thin, tender French green beans are important to this - don't try to cheat with larger, tougher beans!" Cooking time includes cooling time as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 lb French haricots vert (french green beans)
- 1/2 lb small English cucumber (persian can also be used)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1scrub the potatoes clean and trim away any rough spots.
- 2cut in half potatoes that are larger than a walnut.
- 3Salt the potatoes lightly and steam them for about 15 minutes, or till tender. Let them cool.
- 4Wash and trim the beans and steam them for 5-7 minutes, till tender crisp. Let them cool.
- 5If you have slender, thin skinned cucumbers, wash them, trim the ends and slice the 1/8 inch thick. If you can only find the thicker skinned cucumbers, you will need to peel them, halve them lengthwise and scrape out the seeds before slicing.
- 6Combine potatoes, green beans, sliced cucumbers, dill, red onion in a large bowl.
- 7whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, sugar, dijon mustard and a dash of pepper.
- 8pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss together gently but thoroughly.
- 9try not to break up the potatoes.
- 10allow the salad to rest in the refrigerator for an hour or so, then taste, and correct seasonings with more salt, pepper, lemon juice, etc, as needed.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Haricots Verts, Red Potato and Cucumber Salad
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.3
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 216.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 4.0 g