54 hrs 10 mins
Adapted from House and Garden's New Cookbook. Times do not include time for the beans to soak.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 sprigs parsley
- 3 celery, tops (leafy parts only)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lb dried white bean, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons basil leaves
- 1 whole onion
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1Place parsley, celery tops, and garlic on a square of cheesecloth.
- 2Tie into a bundle to make a bouquet garni.
- 3Cover beans with water.
- 4Add bouquet garni, tucking it among the beans.
- 5Add basil, whole onion, thyme, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 6Cook over low heat until beans are almost but not completely softened, about 1 hour.
- 7Meanwhile, heat butter in a skillet and saute onions and garlic until golden.
- 8Reduce heat to low.
- 9Sprinkle flour over mixture, stirring in gradually.
- 10Slowly stir in bouillon.
- 11Slowly stir in tomato paste and remaining salt and pepper.
- 12Simmer until slightly reduced, about 30 minutes.
- 13Remove bouquet garni and whole onion from beans and discard.
- 14Check amount of liquid in beans. If there is more than about 1/4 cup, drain off excess and set aside.
- 15Add tomato sauce to beans.
- 16Cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour.
- 17Beans should still be slightly liquid. If too dry, add a little of the reserved water.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Haricots Secs a La Bretonne
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 1446.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 15.1 g