Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A hearty bean dish from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, sliced
- 4 cups cooked red beans (canned is fine)
- 4 cups tomatoes, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 lb cheese, grated
- Lightly grease a casserole dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon crisp, remove from pan.
- Add beans to bacon fat, and tomatoes to which baking powder has been added.
- Stir all together; season to taste with salt and pepper and place in prepared casserole dish.
- Cover tightly and bake for one hour.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese, arrange bacon strips over all and cook for ten minutes more.
Really quick and easy to make and surprisingly tasty! I added mushrooms and onions to make it a little more interesting but it tastes fine on its own, great