Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The classic Thanksgiving side dish from Gaylord Palms Resort goes upscale in executive Chef Paul Player’s delicious take on the green bean casserole.
- 1 lb French haricots vert
- 4 ounces apple-smoked bacon, diced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups veal stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large shallots
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add bacon and sauté until halfway cooked. Stir in carrot, onion, celery and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are golden brown. Add veal stock and red wine, stirring to loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Sift in flour and stir until smooth. Add haricot verts and simmer until sauce is thick and beans are crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Slowly stir in softened butter until fully incorporated. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Place in a large casserole dish and garnish with crispy shallots.
- Crispy Shallots: Preheat deep fryer to 275 degrees. Thinly slice shallots on a bias to create small matchsticks. In a medium bowl, mix flour, Old Bay, paprika and cayenne. Dredge shallot sticks in the flour mixture until evenly coated. Shake off excess flour and place in deep fryer. Cook just until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels, adding salt and pepper while they are still hot.