Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 ounce unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 ounce whole wheat flour
- 25 fluid ounces milk
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 1 (14 ounce) can haricot beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Sauté the onion in the butter until soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Blend in the milk and sprinkle in the stock cube.
- Heat gently, stirring continuously, until the soup thickens, boils and is smooth.
- Stir in the beans and parsley and heat through.
- Just before serving, stir in the sour cream.
I loved this! It was soooo easy to make and best of all it was filling. However, I found it a little too thick and creamy so I substituted the milk with 1 part water. Adding basil instead of parsley also gave it a nice twist. I also think it's best to add the milk gradually or else lumps will form, and to heat it a little longer after adding the beans so that the beans can absorb the flavour of the soup (n vice versa))