Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is for my DH for the wood he hauls and the outside work, and for starting my car on freezing mornings. It is a fast and simple soup to warm the cockels in a hurry. This isn't a soup you slave over, it really is a quik soup to warm anyone up on a blustery day.
- 2 quarts chicken broth (I use homemade but canned will do just fine)
- 2 carrots, sliced thin discs
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced 1/8ths
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cut into pieces (can buy deli chicken in a 1/2 lb chunk and cube, or 6 oz.can of chicken meat)
- 8 ounces corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 lb egg noodles (optonal) or 1⁄4 lb pasta, of choice (optonal)
- slice up carrots and celery put into pot.
- add in chicken broth, bring to rolling boil for 5 minute.
- add in remaining ingredients.
- simmer on stove while DH works hard.
- note: if adding noodles, add in last 10 min of simmer to cook al dente).
- *** I usually cook my pasta seperate so it does not mush in the soup for leftovers, but can be cooked in the pot with the soup.
- *** for a quicker version and I have done this- using canned mixed vegetables instead of fresh and add to broth and chicken, simmer til warmed.
- Serve with a crusty bread or a grilled chees sandwich and a hot toddy. :-).