Prep 2 hrs 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 5 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- Dissolve the yeast in some of the water(1/4 cup) and add 2 teaspoons sugar. Leave it to stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Sieve the flour ,1 tsp sugar and salt. Cut the shortening into the flour.
- Add the yeast mixture and the rest of the water all at once.
- Mix quickly to a soft dough which is elastic and pliable.
- Knead the dough vigorously either by hand or in an electric mixer, using dough hook. At least 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth to prevent the formation of a skin and leave it to rise or 'proof' in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Knock back the dough by kneading it again for a minute.
- Shape the dough into loaves or rolls. Place in the appropriate greased tin and leave to rise again for 40 minutes.
- Bake in a 450 degrees F. oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Cool on racks.