Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a Great Depression recipe that's been in the family recipe files for an age. I remember my mom steaming leftover pound cake and serving this sauce hot on the side.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold water (to dampened above ingredients.)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Mix sugar, butter, cornstarch, salt and cold water together in a small sauce pan.
- Add hot water and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add vinegar and vanilla.
- Serve hot over warm bread pudding or warm pound cake.
This is perfect. I served it over very warm apple dumplings. This will go in my permanant file. Thanks!!!
Wow, this recipe brings me back to my childhood! My Mom would always make bread pudding with hard sauce. She'd serve the bread pudding warm and let the hard sauce melt on top. Just delicious!!! Talk about comfort food!! Mmmmmm. Thanks for this recipe. I'd forgotten how to make it.
I am trying a new recipe for bread pudding and made this sauce...it is so easy and yummy!