Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a buttery nutmeg flavored sauce that is traditionally served on top of steamed puddings.. As the butter melts, the rum and nutmeg flavor seep down into the hot pudding, a very satisfactory state of affairs.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- salt (a speck)
- 1 teaspoon rum extract or 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- In a mixer bowl, beat the butter until creamy, then blend in the rest of the ingredients and continue beating until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator to soften slightly about 1 hour before serving.