1/3 Photos of Hard Rolls (Using a Stand Mixer)
Oh how I miss hard rolls! Similar to Kaiser rolls, but crustier, when well buttered, these are a typical quick breakfast in the fast-paced metropolis of NYC and north-eastern NJ. A northern comparison to biscuts and gravy here in the southern USA, but these can be eaten on-the-go for a morning meal and are a lot less messy! These rolls will keep all day in a brown paper bag in your bread box.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl (or your KitchenAid), dissolve yeast with 3/4 cup of the water and sugar. Mix in remaining water, flour, and salt. Mix until dough starts to form. If too sticky, add a bit more flour. Knead for 2-3 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Put dough into an oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with a clean towel, and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, until doubled in size (about 2 hours).
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F If you have a baking stone, dust lightly with cornmeal and put into preheated oven. If not, use a cookie sheet. Place a shallow baking pan filled with boiling hot water on bottom of your oven for extra crusty rolls.
- 3ROLLS: Remove dough to a floured surface. Punch down dough and shape into 4 rolls. Place rolls on a peel (large wooden spatula), also lightly dusted with cornmeal, or on a cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise again for 20 minutes. Slit each roll once and brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle lightly with poppy seeds. If on a peel, slide loaves onto stone or tile; otherwise put cookie sheet in oven. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden and baked through.
- 4NOTE: To check for doneness, thump the bottom; if they sound hollow, they're done.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hard Rolls (Using a Stand Mixer)
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.0
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 443.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.4 g