Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Don't let the the long list of ingredients scare you! They are mostly staples that can be found in hanging out in the spice cupboard. My dad goes WILD over this chili, and I'm pretty sure this recipe has made it the whole way around my neighborhood by now. If you're tired of the same old, same old chili, try this one out!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 dash of ground red cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- In 5 quart saucepan, stir together ground beef, onion, and minced garlic, and cook until meat is browned.
- In small bowl, combine tomato paste, worchestershire, barbeque sauce, chili powder, brown sugar, soy sauce, cumin, salt, minced onion, pepper, and celery salt.
- Drain fat from beef, then stir in seasoning mixture.
- Bring to simmer over medium high heat, and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chili beans, green pepper, and celery.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
I made this recipe on 9/21/12 for the " Bargain Basement Tag Game ". As the meat,onions, and garlic were cooking, a bit of seasoning salt and ground black pepper were added while the meat was cooking. The amounts for the " Seasoning Mixture " were changed just a bit due to mine and my SO's tastes,the Worcestershire sauce was reduced to 1 Tblsp. and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper was used. The amount of celery salt was replaced with an equal amount of celery powder. I didn't have the 28oz.can of tomatoes, so 1 14.5 ounce can of chili seasoned tomatoes and 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes that had green peppers & onions were used.Also, I didn't have chili beans, so I used the same size can of red kidney beans.Since I used a can of tomatoes that had green peppers in it, the diced green peppers were omitted. I think that when this is made again, as a personal preference I'm going to cook the celery along with the meat. Thanks so much for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "