Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com Got this from my copykat recipe book. These are Texas style ribs basted in special watermelon BBQ sauce.
- For the pureed watermelon rind, you want to cut off the green skin and about 1/2 inch of the hard white part. Keep the part that is lighter red to white (this is the tender part of the rind).
- Put the rind inside the food processor and purée for only about 10 seconds. Strain the liquid from the pulp and use 1 cup.
- Combine the 1 cup watermelon pulp with the remaining ingredients in medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until your desired thickness.
- Cut the racks of ribs into plate-size portions, about 6 to 7 ribs each. Brush each rib with the sauce and wrap each rack individually in aluminum foil. Be sure to save some sauce for later.
- Let the ribs marinate in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (overnight is best).
- Preheat the oven to 300°F to cook the ribs. Set them with the seam of the foil facing up in the oven. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the rib meat has pulled back from the cut end of the bones by about 1/2 inch. They should be very tender.
- Remove the ribs form the foil and brush with additional sauce. Grill on a hot barbecue for 2 to 4 minutes per side or until you see several spots of charred sauce (be sure to watch them so they do not burn).
- Serve with reserved sauce on the side.