Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
I found this recipe in the America's Most Wanted Recipes Without the Guilt. Cut the calories and keep the taste of your favorite restaurant dishes.
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon lowfat margarine
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup potato flakes
- 6 cups hot chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled baked potatoes
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup diced green onion, plus more for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Cook the yellow onions in the margarine over medium-high heat until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, whisking to prevent lumps. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Whisk in the potato flakes.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, whisking to prevent lumps and cook until the liquid thickens.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the potatoes, milk, sour cream, crumbled bacon, parsley, garlic, basil, salt, Tabasco sauce and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, but do not boil.
- Add the grated cheese and green onions. Heat until the cheese melts.
- Serve, garnished with additional chopped parsley or diced green onions.