- 8 slices bacon, fried and chopped with drippings reserved
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock, hot
- 4 cups potatoes, baked,peeled and diced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, diced
- Sauté the onions in the reserved bacon drippings over medium high heat until transparent, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps; cook for 3-5 minutes, until mixture just begins to turn golden.
- Add chicken stock gradually, whisking to prevent lumps until liquid thickens.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add potatoes, cream, chopped bacon, parsley, garlic, basil, salt substitute, red pepper sauce and black pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes; DO NOT allow to boil.
- Add grated cheese and green onions, heat until cheese melts smoothly.
- Garnish each serving as desired with chopped bacon, grated cheese and chopped parsley.
Excellent! I used 1% milk instead of the heavy cream, lowfat mozarella instead of the cheddar, and used real garlic since it had it on hand, but followed everything to par. Less calories in my version, but still A+ taste. Thank you for posting!
This was absolutely wonderful! I used 2% milk instead of heavy cream, and I added the cheese as a garnish to let it melt in with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped green onions. Way better than a loaded baked potato!! I think a can of smoked baby clams would be another great addition. Thanks for the recipe.
This was delish! I did what I always said I wouldn't do but I "tweeked" it a bit. For the chicken stock I used half chicken broth and half chicken soup base(bouillon), I too used 1% milk instead of the cream and microwaved the potatoes, and I did not use red pepper sauce. Finally, before I added the milk and bacon I pureed the soup to make it extra creamy. My LH, who is usually fussy about his soups, loved it. Thanks for the recipe.