Recipe by basia1
From Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the FOOD". Haven't tried this yet, but Alton says this provides a creamer egg than steaming or boiling. He says it is a bit harder to peel though. Posted in response to a recipe request. (NOTE: Servings depends on how many eggs you decide to cook!)
Top Review by Tibia
Julia Child has a method to make eggs easier to peel: after the ice water plunge, put in boiling water for another 10 seconds or so and then cool again. The idea being that you submit the egg and peel to more thermodynamic shock which results in shrinking and expanding the shell. YMMV
Directions See How It's Made
- Position the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Place the eggs on the racks.
- Place a baking sheet pan in the bottom of the oven (just in case an egg breaks).
- Set the oven to 325F, and bake for 30 minutes.
- When the eggs are done, fill a large bowl with ice water and move the eggs into the bowl.
- Peel the eggs as soon as they're cool enough to handle, then return them to the ice water to thoroughly chill.