Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
The aroma of the candy oil fills the house, and the neighborhood. Be careful of sensitive people as the aroma is quite strong. Some will burn your eyes, and definitely open the sinuses.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon candy oil
- food coloring (optional)
- Over medium heat,cook sugar, syrup, water to hard crack.
- Add oil and desired food color, stirring until well mixed.
- Pour onto buttered cookie sheet.
- Start cutting immediately and continue until cool.
- Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
This is a ritual at our house. It isn't Christmas time until we have made hard candy! We like using the flavors lemon, butter rum, watermelon, maple, rootbeer, and cinnamon. A warning about cinnamon though...be careful and do not put your face near it. My husband put his face over it and had to stand outside because the steam went into his pours and burnt him.
yummy and easy :)
Thank you I have been looking for a great recipe and this is it