Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good 'old-fasioned' hard candy. Prep/cook time is and est. - it can vary with the day due to weather.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put sugar, corn syrup, water and salt into saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat and cook until thermometer registers 250 degrees F, firm ball stage.
- Add butter; cook with occasional stirring until thermometer registers 300 degrees F (brittle stage).
- Remove from stove.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Pour into buttered shallow pan, making a layer 1/4 inch deep.
- While warm, crease into squares with a blunt knife.
- When cold, break into pieces.
I agree with Sams_Rosie below - this is more like a toffee, albeit a very hard and glossy one. Kind of reminds me of Werther's Original. Very tasty and nice but not really what I was looking for.
It tasted good. However, it didn't taste like butterscotch.
This was great! It tastes more like heath bar filling, it would be really good dipped chocolate. I accidently let the temp get to 350 but it still tasted great.