5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. This is a fun spin off of the Scotch egg. The addition of the hash brown potatoes and spicy sausage really kicks this recipe up a notch. And, makes it a fun meal for breakfast, lunch or as a snack dipped in honey mustard. I made these all the time when my children were growing up and now they make them, With the ease of Simply Potatoes they can be made up in no time at all. Be creative, you can add jalapenos, chipotle peppers, onions. Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Hard boil 8 eggs, peel, set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, place the potatoes. Pat the potatoes with several paper towels, to remove excess moisture.
- 3Add sausage and 1 egg. Mix, until well combined.
- 4Divide the potato-sausage mixture into 8 balls.
- 5After you form each ball, place them on a plate and place them in the refrigerator. Remove 1 ball at a time, from the refrigerator.
- 6Using your hands, flatten the potato-sausage mixture, place hard boiled egg on top and pat the potato-sausage mixture around the egg, making certain it is completely covered.
- 7Try to keep the potato-sausage mixture an even thickness as you form a layer around each hard boiled egg.
- 8Repeat, until the remaining 7 eggs are done.
- 9In a small bowl, whisk the 2 remaining eggs until frothy.
- 10In a shallow dish, place corn flake crumbs.
- 11Take one wrapped egg, and roll it in the beaten eggs to coat and cover completely.
- 12Using a large spoon, take the egg out of the egg wash, and place it in the corn flake crumbs.
- 13Gently roll each egg in the corn flake crumbs to completely coat. Put each egg back on the plate with the other eggs, until they are all coated with egg wash and corn flake crumbs. Once you have them all coated, repeat the process, until you have two layers of crumbs.
- 14Put the crumb-coated eggs back into the refrigerator, until you are ready to cook them.
- 15Heat oil in a deep frying pan to 375 degrees.
- 16Carefully place 4 eggs, one at a time, into the hot oil and leave them alone for 3 to 4 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, turn the eggs until you have cooked all of the sausage on each egg, approximately 3 to 4 minutes between each turn.
- 17When done the eggs should be a nice dark brown. Remove from oil, place on paper towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Allow to cool, for 8 minutes, then cut each in half.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hard Boiled Eggs Wrapped in Hash Browns & Sausage #5FIX
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 828.4
- Calories from Fat 685
- Total Fat 76.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 296.6 mg
- Sodium 610.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 18.5 g