Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
Super simple. Attractive and tasty way to get rid of leftover Easter eggs. Using eggs that have been boiled and sitting in the fridge for a day or two makes slicing easier. Boiling your eggs with a little salt makes for easier peeling. Try adding different things to the recipe, very versatile. I like adding Greek olives, or occasionally baby spinach leaves tossed with balsamic vinaigrette. It also works well with grated parmesan cheese, or other hard white cheeses.
- 1 -2 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1⁄2 red peppers, yellow pepper or 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pickle relish (sweet or dill)
- black pepper, cayenne pepper or hot sauce
- salt (optional)
- 1 pita bread round (I use whole-grain pita)
- Remove yolks from egg slices, cream together with mayo or olive oil, relish, pepper or hot sauce, and salt.
- Microwave pita bread for about 10 seconds. Slice warm round in half and gently pry open the pocket. Spread the yolk and mayo mixture inside the pocket.
- Arrange egg slices and pepper strips inside the pocket. Plate up and enjoy.