Recipe by Georgiapea
This is a common seasoning in Libya. I was surprised that there isn't a recipe for it on zaar (though it could have another name...I'm certainly no expert). I found this recipe online (http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-hararat). I must admit that I have never made this before - and that this particular recipe is a bit annoying as you have to grind everything in a spice/coffee grinder or I suppose a mortar and pestle if you're ambitious. I am posting a different version that uses pre-ground spices. Feel free to multiply this recipe to make any amount you wish.
Top Review by marwasworld
Thanks a bunch!!! Been dying to figure it out how to make it but nowhere to be found.. I think this way is better than using ground because there will be much more flavor and aroma.. thanks again for the post!
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into 4 pieces each
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried chilies
- 1 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a nonstick frying pan to medium heat (do NOT add oil) and add your spices.
- Stir constantly until the aroma intensifies. Depending on how hot your pan is this could take a few minutes - just don't let them burn.
- Add to spice grinder/coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container.