Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Taken from Charmaine Solomon
- 3 lbs stewing beef
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons ceylon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 fresh chilies, seeded and chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Cut steak into 2 inch squares.
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan and gently fry the onions, ginger and garlic until just beginning to turn golden.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, mustard seeds and fry over a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and vinegar and stir well.
- Add steak and fry, stirring to coat meat well.
- Add chillies and tomatoes, cover pan and simmer on a very low heat for about 2 hours.
- If the gravy is too thin when the meat is tender, cook over a high heat, uncovered until reduced.
- Serve with rice.
Very deep flavor - so good! I used red palm oil for frying and canned tomatoes because I had no fresh ones that were really ripe. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT6 Asia.
Very good curry. I liked the little bit of sourness from the vinegar. Made for ZWT6.