Recipe by Vintage Kitchen
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. Diced potatoes replace bread cubes in this hearty & flavorful strata that's so easy to prepare. Serve for brunch with a side of fresh fruit or for dinner with a mixed-greens salad. Adding the water to a 13x9x2" ceramic baking dish and placing in the oven along with the strata creates steam which keeps the eggs light, fluffy and delicious. Enjoy!
- 20 ounces Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 4 patties hot Italian sausage (from 1 lb package)
- 2 cups light cream
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a 13x9x2” ceramic casserole dish with 3 cups water. Place on bottom rack in oven. Preheat oven to bake at 350 degrees.
- Cook sausage patties in an 11” non-stick skillet over medium heat, crumbling with spatula as they cook, about 10 minutes. Add diced potatoes with onion and cook with sausage for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally with spatula. Add cheese and stir until melted. Remove skillet from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat cream in small sauce pan over low heat until hot but not boiling, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Slowly pour in hot cream in stages, whisking as you pour to temper the eggs. (You may want to surround the bowl with bags of frozen veggies – or whatever frozen items you have on hand - to keep the eggs from cooking).
- Pour contents of skillet into a 13x9x2” non-stick metal pan (not a dark pan), evenly spreading out with spatula. Pour egg-cream mixture over the sausage-potato-cheese mixture.
- Bake on middle oven rack for 35-40 minutes, until eggs are set and edges begin to lightly-brown. Cut into squares and serve immediately.