Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
There's a print shop on San Gabriel Road in So Cal called *Happy & Lucky* and it cracks me up every time I see it because it really makes no sense. So I decided to rename this fried rice in honor of that print shop. Which also makes no sense.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 3 teaspoons vegemite
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup tiny cooked shrimp
- 1 cup small button mushroom, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce or 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Add rice to boiling water in a saucepan, stir in Vegemite, reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Set aside in fridge to cool completely. (The secret to fluffy fried rice is to use cold cooked rice; otherwise, it’ll be sticky).
- Heat a frying pan or wok, add a little oil and stir fry onion, garlic and bacon until onion is tender and bacon cooked through.
- Add shrimp and fry 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetables and hoisin sauce and stir fry a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and bean sprouts until heated.
- Scramble the eggs, roughly chop, then fold into rice mixture thoroughly. Serve hot.