1/5 Photos of Happy Hummus
I like creamy hummus, no chalky hummus for this girl! This is a slightly modified recipe from my favorite vegetarian book 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes. For enhanced flavor, use homemade tahini (see Tahini Made Easy). The hummus must be prepared several hours in advance for best flavor. Do not substitute dried parsley for fresh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 354.88 ml chickpeas, cooked and reserve liquid (or equivalent canned chickpeas with liquid saved)
- 44.37 ml tahini, preferably homemade
- 29.58-44.37 ml fresh lemon juice (I like my hummus a bit more lemony)
- 29.58 ml bland oil
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.23 ml cumin powder, very lightly dry roasted
- 1.23 ml salt, to taste
- 14.79 ml fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley (no more than 1 tablespoon parsley or the hummus will turn an unappetizing green)
- 0.25 ml paprika
- 1Place all the ingredients except for reserved bean liquid into a food processor or blender. While appliance is running begin gradually pouring some of the bean liquid down the feeding tube. (Do not use water to thin the hummus.) Process until smooth and creamy. If the appliance is laboring you need to add more liquid.
- 2Scrape down sides of appliance. Taste test hummus and add more salt, lemon, etc if necessary. Hummus should be not too garlicky, not too lemony, not too pasty from the sesame seeds- a happy medium.
- 3Transfer prepared hummus to a serving bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil around the inner edges of the bowl and a sprinkle of sumac. Lastly, garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley.
- 4Serve with chips, cut up vegetables, baked pita triangles, etc.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Happy Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.8
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 283.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.4 g