Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Quick and easy appetizer, good with drinks. This is easy to double or triple to the amount you need.
- 10 medium mushrooms (about 1/2 lb.)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons shredded monterey jack cheese (or cheese of your choice, I use pepper-jack or chiquita cheese w/chiles)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup fine cracker crumb (I use Ritz)
- Remove stems from mushrooms and reserve for another use.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter; brush over mushroom caps, coating thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining 4 tablespoons butter, garlic and cheese until blended; stir in wine, soy and cracker crumbs until well blended.
- Place mushrooms, cavity side up, on a rimmed baking sheet; mound filling in mushrooms, pressing in lightly.
- Broil about 6 inches from heat until bubbly and lightly browned, about 3 minutes; serve warm.
Good and versatile recipe. I had oversized stuffing mushrooms, so I doubled the filling and used a bleu-chevre blend for half. I also substituted Worcestershire sauce because I was out of soy. The mushrooms can be microwaved for 5 minutes for good results.
A delicious meze to enjoy with a glass of wine. I actually minced the mushroom stems, sauteed them quickly a non-stick pan until they had released their juices and included them in the filling. I also used 2 garlic cloves. For mushrooms lovers like DH and myself, this was mushroom heaven. A keeper.