Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Warm cider gives off a heavenly aroma to welcome snow-laden guests. This recipe uses baked apples studded with cloves, along with fresh citrus juices, apple cider, and spices. The prep time is baking time for the apples.
- 2-4 medium baking apples, cored
- 9.85 ml whole cloves
- 78.07 ml water
- 4 crabapples (optional)
- 4 medium apples
- 4-5 oranges
- 4 medium lemons
- 1892.72 ml apple cider
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 12 inch cinnamon sticks
- 4.92 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Insert about half the cloves into 2 baking apples.
- Place the apples in a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Add the water.
- Bake apples, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add crab apples, if desired.
- Bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until apples and crab apples are tender; cool slightly.
- Halve or quarter baking apples.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, squeeze juice from oranges and lemons (you should have 1-1/3 cups orange juice and 3/4 cup lemon juice).
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine orange and lemon juices, apple cider, sugar, cinnamon, remaining cloves, allspice, and nutmeg. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove whole cloves and stick cinnamon from cider mixture.
- To serve, place apples in a large heat-proof punch bowl; carefully pour cider mixture into bowl.
Wonderful spiced cider recipe! Everyone enjoyed this, and kept going back for just a little more. I made this using just over 2 cups of fresh lemon & orange juice combined, 2 Jonagold apples studded with cloves and baked 15 minutes, 2 Jonagold apples (uncooked), and brown sugar. I quarted the raw apples and halved the baked apples, placed them in a crockpot, and poured the simmered & strained cider mixture over. Then I let it set on "warm" all evening. I didn't serve the apples in the mugs, but just left them in to flavor the cider. We enjoyed this very much, and I can see this becoming a cold-weather staple. Thanks so much for posting, Annacia! Made for Photo Tag.