Recipe by Annacia
Warm cider gives off a heavenly aroma to welcome snow-laden guests. This recipe uses baked apples studded with cloves, along with fresh citrus juices, apple cider, and spices. The prep time is baking time for the apples.
Top Review by Halcyon Eve
Wonderful spiced cider recipe! Everyone enjoyed this, and kept going back for just a little more. I made this using just over 2 cups of fresh lemon & orange juice combined, 2 Jonagold apples studded with cloves and baked 15 minutes, 2 Jonagold apples (uncooked), and brown sugar. I quarted the raw apples and halved the baked apples, placed them in a crockpot, and poured the simmered & strained cider mixture over. Then I let it set on "warm" all evening. I didn't serve the apples in the mugs, but just left them in to flavor the cider. We enjoyed this very much, and I can see this becoming a cold-weather staple. Thanks so much for posting, Annacia! Made for Photo Tag.
- 2 -4 medium baking apples, cored
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 4 crabapples (optional)
- 4 medium apples
- 4 -5 oranges
- 4 medium lemons
- 8 cups apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 12 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Insert about half the cloves into 2 baking apples.
- Place the apples in a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Add the water.
- Bake apples, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add crab apples, if desired.
- Bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until apples and crab apples are tender; cool slightly.
- Halve or quarter baking apples.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, squeeze juice from oranges and lemons (you should have 1-1/3 cups orange juice and 3/4 cup lemon juice).
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine orange and lemon juices, apple cider, sugar, cinnamon, remaining cloves, allspice, and nutmeg. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove whole cloves and stick cinnamon from cider mixture.
- To serve, place apples in a large heat-proof punch bowl; carefully pour cider mixture into bowl.