Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
Actually my mother used this recipe (except for the vodka--my contribution). Pennsylvania women have used it for years (except for the vodka).
- 1 can sliced beet, drain and save liquid
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 ounce vodka (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Bring saved liquid to a boil.
- Add cornstarch, salt, vinegar, and sugar.
- Simmer until thickened and bubbles.
- Add sliced beets to sauce (add vodka at this time).
- Heat for three minutes.
Just what I have been looking for! Like instant pickled beets in thickened cider vinegar and sugar brine. The balance of sweet & sour is perfect. Will try the vodka next time.
Great recipe, gives it a sweet and sour taste. I used raw beets, sliced and boiled.
quick. easy. and addictive! Made this recipe for dinner with my parents-in-law. I couldn't stop tasting the glaze - delicious. Didn't have the vodka, so I tried with a half ounce of Brandy - great flavor!