Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
You won't like this soup if you don't like sauerkraut. But it's really good if you do. Serve with Karjalan piirakka (Karelian Pie) on the side. Or rye bread, cheese, and a selection of cold cuts. Oh, and don't forget a big bowl of sour cream. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 1 lb beef, trimmed fat, and cut into small cubes
- 1 ham bone (or a few chunks smoked ham)
- 3 cups sauerkraut
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 whole allspice
- fresh ground black pepper
- sour cream (to garnish)
- Place the beef cubes and ham bone in a large sauce pan with the sauerkraut, stock, and allspice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 2 and 1/2 hours over medium-low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove allspice berries and bay leaves.
- When ready to serve, ladle into big bowls, top with a spoonful of thick sour cream, and take to the table with chunks of rye bread and a bowl of sour cream to pass around the table.