Recipe by Annacia
These are so good with the pineapple juice. I recommend cutting simple shapes if dough is rolled to asked for 1/8". Also keep a close eye on them in the oven as they can over bake quickly. Yield depends on thickness of dough and the size you cut them to.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice or 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, extra for rolling
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, add ingredients in the above order , mixing well after each addition (you can do it in a processor too).
- Using half of the dough roll on a floured board to 1/8" and cut into holiday shapes-dreidel, star.
- Can decorate with chocolate chip, raisin, sprinkles, colored sugar, etc.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or so till lightly browned. They firm up a bit more as they cool.
- Freeze well, but they won't last that long.
- NOTE: If making different shapes, try and make all of one shape on a tray because the different sizes don't bake at the same rate; some will burn and others will be under baked.