Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this recipe last year and made it for Hanukkah, but is great anytime! Soooo delicious! This is made in an oven cooking bag.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) fresh beef brisket
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- Trim excess fat from brisket. Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Place flour in a large oven cooking bag and shake. Add brisket. Set bag in a large roasting pan.
- Combine carrots, celery, onions, undrained tomatoes, wine, soup mix, basil and bay leaves. Pour ontop of brisket.
- Close bag; cut slits in top of bag and seal.
- Roast in a 325º oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Slice meat across the grain into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Skim fat from pan juices and serve with meat.
This is the best I have ever had.I followed it exactly, which I raley do.
Out of this world!! Never knew brisket could taste so nice having always just boiled it as a stew.
this is a great brisket recipe that's easy to make. it comes out soft, juicy, and wonderfully flavorful. I used about twice the amount of tomatoes. Everything else I followed exactly. Highly recommend!