Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is from my Southern Living cookbook.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherry
- whipped cream (optional)
- Combine the gelatin and cold water and let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Combine egg yolks, sugar, and milk in top of a double boiler. Cook stirring constantly until thickened, about 20 minutes. stir in the gelatin and vanilla wafer crumbs and cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly; cool. Stir in nuts and cherries.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff; fold into the pudding mixture. Spoon into a lightly-greased 9-inch square glass pan and chill until set, about 2 hours. Spoon into individual serving dishes and garnish with whipped cream and a whole cherry, if desired.