Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Ingredients should be able to be found in Asian markets. You may use your choice of beef, chicken, or vegetable stock and omit meat if you want this dish to be meat-free.
- 8 cups beef stock
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (1 inch) chunk peeled fresh ginger
- 1 onion, quartered (don't peel)
- 4 cloves
- 1 lb rice vermicelli
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken or 1⁄2 lb beef
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam) or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- minced cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- lime wedge
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- Combine the stock, star anise, cinnamon stick, ginger, onion, and cloves in a large, deep saucepan and turn heat to high. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down very low andcover.
- Let cook for 20-60 minutes. Strain and return to the sauce pan.
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water for 15-30 minutes, until soft. Rinse under cold water for a minute, then drain.
- Turn the heat from the soup to medium, then place the meat in the pot and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the noodles among four large bowls. Add the fish or soy sauce and plenty of pepper to the soup.
- Taste and add the salt or more seasoning to taste.
- Top the noodles with broth and meat, then garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with the lime wedges and minced chile.
Tasty good! This made for a nice simple lunch that warmed me to the toes. I went meatless but would really like it with meat. I reduced this to a single serving and then cut back a little more on the star anise, because I've been over powered by it in other soups. I used the fish sauce; and the fresh lime and cilantro really perk this up. I had no jalepenos so omitted them also. Thanks Scarlett for sharing. Made by one of the Unrulies Under the Influence for ZWT6 .