Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make and share this Hanoi Beef and Rice Noodle Soup (Pho Bo) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs beef oxtails
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh ginger (about 3 ounces)
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped shallot (about 3 medium shallots)
- 5 quarts water
- 4 cups coarsely chopped daikon radishes (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups vertically sliced onions
- 12 ounces wide stick rice noodles (banh pho)
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 12 ounces eye of round roast, trimmed and cut into 1/16-inch slices
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 cup Thai basil
- 4 Thai red chili peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 lime wedges
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (optional)
- To prepare broth, heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add oxtail, ginger, and shallots; sauté 8 minutes or until ginger and shallots are slightly charred.
- Add water and next 8 ingredients (through cinnamon stick); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 hours. Strain broth through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
- Return broth to pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until reduced to 10 cups (about 30 minutes).
- Skim fat from surface; discard fat. Keep warm.
- To prepare remaining ingredients, add sliced onion to broth. Place noodles in a large bowl, and cover with boiling water.
- Let stand 20 minutes. Drain. Place 1/3 cup bean sprouts in each of 6 soup bowls.
- Top each serving with 1 1/3 cup noodles and 2 ounces eye-of-round.
- Carefully ladle 1 2/3 cups boiling broth over each serving (boiling broth will cook the meat). Serve with cilantro, basil, chiles, limes, and hoisin, if desired.