1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs beef oxtails
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh ginger (about 3 ounces)
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped shallot (about 3 medium shallots)
- 5 quarts water
- 4 cups coarsely chopped daikon radishes (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups vertically sliced onions
- 12 ounces wide stick rice noodles (banh pho)
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 12 ounces eye of round roast, trimmed and cut into 1/16-inch slices
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 cup Thai basil
- 4 Thai red chili peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 lime wedges
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1To prepare broth, heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add oxtail, ginger, and shallots; sauté 8 minutes or until ginger and shallots are slightly charred.
- 2Add water and next 8 ingredients (through cinnamon stick); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 hours. Strain broth through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
- 3Return broth to pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until reduced to 10 cups (about 30 minutes).
- 4Skim fat from surface; discard fat. Keep warm.
- 5To prepare remaining ingredients, add sliced onion to broth. Place noodles in a large bowl, and cover with boiling water.
- 6Let stand 20 minutes. Drain. Place 1/3 cup bean sprouts in each of 6 soup bowls.
- 7Top each serving with 1 1/3 cup noodles and 2 ounces eye-of-round.
- 8Carefully ladle 1 2/3 cups boiling broth over each serving (boiling broth will cook the meat). Serve with cilantro, basil, chiles, limes, and hoisin, if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hanoi Beef and Rice Noodle Soup (Pho Bo)
Serving Size: 1 (1118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.8
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 34.8 mg
- Sodium 855.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: