Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found at scandinaviancooking.com, this sugar cookie recipe is uniquely Scandinavian for its inclusion of cardamom. Posted for ZWT 9.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat the butter (margarine) until creamy. Beat in the sugar until well blended.
- Stir in the egg, then the salt, cardamom, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Slowly add the flour, blending well.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30-90 minutes. Take out only enough to work with at one time.
- Roll to 1/8" thickness on a lightly floured board. (Flour the rolling pin lightly, too, or use a rolling pin cover.) Cut the dough with floured cutters.
- Place cookies on ungreased baking sheets (optional: use parchment paper). Leave a little room between cookies. Bake at 350°F for 11-15 minutes until lightly browned at edges. Remove cookies from baking sheets after 1-2 minutes and let them cool.
- These cookies may be frozen. You can refrigerate the dough or even freeze it for later use.