Recipe by Toni W.
Super Scrumptious Soup - perfect for a cold day. I strongly urge you buy and use a good wedge of Parmesan Cheese that you grate yourself. The better quality Parmesan, the better the soup.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the first nine ingredients in the recipe listed above to a slow cooker / crockpot, mix together, cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Or you can cook on low for 4-8 hours. Stir and scrape down the sides of the crock every once in a while.
- If you enjoy a smooth soup, about 30 - 40 minutes prior to serving you can transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, then return to the crock and continue to heat.
- Prepare the roux by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour to the butter and stir until the flour clumps up. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream (or half and half) until the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Add the roux and the parmesan cheese to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 20 - 30 minutes until the cheese is completely melted. Stir and then top with additional basil and parmesan for a pleasant presentation if desired.