Recipe by CindiJ
Home sick 2 weeks before Christmas and was watching Michael Symon make these on The Chew. I thought they sounded very good and very easy make!
Top Review by pjm15763
I will try this recipe but the one we have been making for decades is closer to the first reviewer's recipe. I am not sure what they will taste like without the cheese. We use 1 pound pork sausage, 1 pound ground beef browned and drained and then add about 3/4 of a pound of Velveeta cheese. Heat through and mix until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are combined. Spread on slices of cocktail rye and either bake at 350 or place under the broiler until toasted. SO good!!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (reserve 2 tablespoons Fat From Pan)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (Grated)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parsley (chopped)
- 10 slices baguette (grilled)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute the sausage until cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Be sure to break up any large chunks. When cooked drain and set aside reserving 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Whisk the flour into the reserved fat followed by the milk. Add the grated parmesan, parsley, cooked sausage, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Grill the slices of baguette, transfer to a sheet tray and spoon the sausage mixture on top. Place in the oven on broil until golden and bubbling, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped parsley.