Two yellow orbs, surrounded by white in a sea of red. Been there, done that. This is an ehanced and scaled down variation of Poached Eggs in Catsup posted by Darlene Summers. A little tartness has been added to counter the sweet catsup and extra liquid was added to accommodate cooking smaller portions in a standard frying pan. Some people might want to add just a dash of hot sauce. Cooking is a Creative Sport.
- Mix the catsup, vinegar and water in a frying pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Heat over medium flame until the liquid starts to bubble.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Carefully add the eggs, and simmer covered for 3 minutes.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spatula and place on the toast.
- Pour the catsup sauce over the eggs and top with the cheese.
I swapped out the ketchup for hot salsa and used 1/2 cup of grated pepper jack. This egg dis will be a regular for me now
Was feeling a bit queasy (no, not a hangover, just a bit off) and thought I would try this. Have already reviewed Darlene Summers Eggs in Catsup and this variation appealed to me. It was great! Felt much better (don't know if it was this particular combination or if I just needed something in my stomach.......) When the eggs were halfdone I added the cheese to get a little thicker sauce. Also addded about 5 mad dashes of tabasco to the sauce. It took me about 5 minutes to get the eggs done. Very pleased to have found this. Thanks for posting.
This was really good! No one had a hangover, but it was a great breakfast. Next time I think we will add sausage to it.