Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
Hangi is the traditional New Zealand Maori way of cooking. Mix and match the meat, as per a traditional hangi, a lamb or pork chop and a piece of chicken per parcel. For a smoky taste add smoked pork slices to the packets. A ball of stuffing about the size of a golf ball if you like stuffing.
- To make individual servings use banana leaves or tin foil.
- Put cabbage leaves down first, then veges, meat and stuffing (if using) together on top of the cabbage.
- Put another couple of cabbages leaves over the top of veges.
- Wrap everything up in the tinfoil or banana leaves, preferably encasing everything with the cabbage.
- Put into crock pot.
- Add water to bottom of crock pot.
- Cook on high for approx 6-8 hours or until cooked through.
- Note: Only add salt once cooked.
I made a few adjustments to this for personal reasons and think I have found fusion cuisine at it's very best! I did use chicken pieces, but insteal of lamb/pork chops I used some beef chops (is there such a thing? Beef slices with the bone in?) and instead of the smoked pork I used corned beef! Wow! Is there such a thing as Jewish/Maori cuisine? There is now! I left out the stuffing, and this was a great all-in-one meal. I especially love the smokey flavor that was imparted to the sweet potatoes and the pumpkin. Thanks for introducing us to something new and wonderful!